Skip to main content

The finish line.

My time at rescue is down to one more week.  Muoy sapada te'it.  It's been an interesting relationship we've had, Cambodia and I.  With ups and downs, flawed just like we are.  But as I'm preparing to leave, or at least starting to get myself organized, I'm glad to be leaving.  Excited even.  Not in the "running from a challenge" sort of way, but with a content sense of completion.  My time is up.  There is still so much work to be done and maybe there's still another chapter for Cambodia and I later on ... but right now?  Right now it's time for a break.  It's time to debrief, it's time to collect energy, it's time to learn more ... I just hope my complex love for this place, these kids is able to be seen.  In the grand scheme of things, I've done very little.  To the pessimist or hopeless achiever, it would appear that I've done very little in the way of long-term effects.  But as long as one child remembers something about their strange, crazy-haired English teacher that would dance around class and make silly faces, as long as one kid remembers something significant somewhere down the road, I will be satisfied.  And I may never know the affect I've had ... but I hope there's something.  And maybe I'll come back to continue the beautiful work that has been started here.

I read over some of Rescue's newsletters recently, tears welling in my eyes over the faces of the kids on the letter.  I know them!  They're my students!  Unruly at times, but always smiling.  

Mischievous smiles.
Teasing smiles.
Shy smiles begging for hugs ... they makes me cry.

And so Cambodia, keep pushing forward.  You have amazing people at your back for support.  It's been a ride and despite it all, I really do love you.  Your quirks, your flaws, your beauty.  One day, we will meet again.  I will carry you with me, everyday of my life.  You have changed me and I hope something of me will stay with you too.

Much love and affection, 

-teacher chelsea.


... one more week then off to wander Asia for a few weeks before back to Canada.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the heart of a counsellor.

  Living in Calgary the past few months has taught me many things.  Studying counselling and psychotherapy so closely has taught me even more.  Life is a constant string of learning and growth, if you're doing neither of these you'll wake up one day when you starting moving backwards in life, instead of forwards.   Through my program, I am required to attend personal counselling sessions for more insight into myself and all that.  It's been an interesting process seeing things from both the counselling side and the client side ... I've come to be convinced every person could benefit from a few boughts of counselling, even if they don't think they need it.  With my counsellor (we'll call her Carrie), I talked through some social anxieties I've had for many years, but just recently these anxieties have been escalating to somewhat of panic attacks.  Not often, but every now and then only if my worries and emotions go unchecked.  We theorized that so...

Consumed.

What would you do if you weren’t afraid? Think of that for a second .... There are so many possibilities of what you could do if fear was not a factor.  The funny thing about fear is that for a specific moment or situation, it has it’s place.  It’s completely reasonable to be afraid of scorpions if you don’t know how to handle them without getting stung.  I was told not to walk in grassy fields because there are scorpions, snakes, and more importantly land mines and mortars.  I think it’s reasonable to be cautious of these areas.  It makes sense for me not to wander through fields here, there are dangers.  But it would be completely insane if I avoided fields in Canada because the level of danger is significantly lower. This same principle applies to our lives.  Our fears had validity at one time, and our shields where useful during those times.  But if we carry around our shields, cautiously applying them to every situation, we look ridiculous a...

Thrown away.

  I'm not too sure how to start this one, it's gonna be a little sensitive for me.  I'll start off with telling you the story.   Two days ago, one of our house-moms left with her teenaged daughter.  She had a debt to repay and felt it would be better if she got a job in the sewing factory to repay that debt.  She had her life savings with her ($50 USD), and gave a couple days notice.  The day she was planning on leaving, someone stole her money (theft has been a bit of a problem here lately).  In tears, she came to Marie asking what she should do.  We replaced the money she had lost, prayed over her and sent her and her daughter on their way.  But not without trying to persuade them to stay, and making sure they knew that should they decide to come back, we have a place for them.   Leaving Rescue is probably the worst decision this woman could have made for herself and her daughter.  She has AIDS.  Rescue p...