Skip to main content

Wise words from young lips.

There was a small moment yesterday that made me laugh.  Let me tell you about it:

Currently, I am at the beaches of Sihanoukville in the Gulf of Thailand (don't be fooled, still in Cambodia).  Serendipity Beach is where I have been spending many lazy afternoons in the hot hot sun, the crashing waves soothing my being as I lounge by the ocean.  Unfortunately, the particular beach I frequent is not as glamourous as it sounds.  Although I am able to bask in the suns rays, drink in hand, the beach is vastly populated with ... well, vendors to put it politely.  Women walk around with baskets of fruit on their heads, or mani/pedi kits in hand.  Young girls and boys alike trek through the sands with a variety of bracelets and headbands for sale, each vying for the attention of generous tourists.  Sucked in!

Ha, Maly and myself
Over the past few months, I'd consider myself fairly local at this beach.  Not because the bartenders know me, but because the "vendors" know me.  I have a lady I always go to for massages and hair threading ("Ha", pronounced rather nasally) and a teenage girl I buy fresh fruit from (Maly).  Same ones, every time.  They kind of guard me from the "swarms" of not-so-nice kids.  So I appreciate them.  I know a little of each of their stories, they know a little of mine.  I have met many of Maly's vendor friends and have been pleased to know they all go to school ... sadly their beach businesses are a way to pay for school.  When Maly first found out I was a teacher in Phnom Penh, she pulled out her English workbook and started going through it with me!


Today, as I watched Maly expertly cut up a mango, banana, and pineapple for me, she asked if I had a boyfriend.  I jokingly replied, "No, I move around too much."  I turned the question then to her, "Maly, how 'bout you?  Do you have a boyfriend??"  She frowned at me and said, "No, I am too young for boyfriend.  I need to finish school, get a good job, a good house and then maybe I will have boyfriend.  You know, if boy is handsome but not go to school, he is no good.  For me O.K. if boy not handsome but go to school, you know?"  At this, I smiled and told her she was a smart girl.  She continued on, glancing at the young travelers around us and said in low voice, "You not find good boyfriend here.  These boys (she gestures behind her) no good."  She shakes her head.

I have never expected to get relationship advice from a 15-year-old.  But this Maly-girl, she knows what's up.  She could probably talk some sense into some of the 18-year-olds I know back home, am I right?  Heck, she could probably talk some sense into most twenty-somethings I know.  Oh to have that wisdom at such a young age.


Maly to the right and a friend.


That's all.

-c.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the heart of a counsellor.

  Living in Calgary the past few months has taught me many things.  Studying counselling and psychotherapy so closely has taught me even more.  Life is a constant string of learning and growth, if you're doing neither of these you'll wake up one day when you starting moving backwards in life, instead of forwards.   Through my program, I am required to attend personal counselling sessions for more insight into myself and all that.  It's been an interesting process seeing things from both the counselling side and the client side ... I've come to be convinced every person could benefit from a few boughts of counselling, even if they don't think they need it.  With my counsellor (we'll call her Carrie), I talked through some social anxieties I've had for many years, but just recently these anxieties have been escalating to somewhat of panic attacks.  Not often, but every now and then only if my worries and emotions go unchecked.  We theorized that so...

Consumed.

What would you do if you weren’t afraid? Think of that for a second .... There are so many possibilities of what you could do if fear was not a factor.  The funny thing about fear is that for a specific moment or situation, it has it’s place.  It’s completely reasonable to be afraid of scorpions if you don’t know how to handle them without getting stung.  I was told not to walk in grassy fields because there are scorpions, snakes, and more importantly land mines and mortars.  I think it’s reasonable to be cautious of these areas.  It makes sense for me not to wander through fields here, there are dangers.  But it would be completely insane if I avoided fields in Canada because the level of danger is significantly lower. This same principle applies to our lives.  Our fears had validity at one time, and our shields where useful during those times.  But if we carry around our shields, cautiously applying them to every situation, we look ridiculous a...

Thrown away.

  I'm not too sure how to start this one, it's gonna be a little sensitive for me.  I'll start off with telling you the story.   Two days ago, one of our house-moms left with her teenaged daughter.  She had a debt to repay and felt it would be better if she got a job in the sewing factory to repay that debt.  She had her life savings with her ($50 USD), and gave a couple days notice.  The day she was planning on leaving, someone stole her money (theft has been a bit of a problem here lately).  In tears, she came to Marie asking what she should do.  We replaced the money she had lost, prayed over her and sent her and her daughter on their way.  But not without trying to persuade them to stay, and making sure they knew that should they decide to come back, we have a place for them.   Leaving Rescue is probably the worst decision this woman could have made for herself and her daughter.  She has AIDS.  Rescue p...