Skip to main content

wedding bells in paradise.

I have a story to tell you.  

It kind of started in July, maybe August I can’t remember but Gavin probably would.  At least once a week, Gav had started to ask me to marry him, mostly in jest but somewhat serious.  I kept telling him, “One day” or “Gotta put a ring on it!”  One day, while we were talking, he in Kelowna, me in Calgary, he said he had a crazy idea for his next visit.  “How would you feel about looking at rings?” he said.  Of course I was on board, and somewhat in disbelief that this was for serious, I was going with the man I loved to look at real live engagement rings because I wanted to marry him, and he wanted to marry me!  So by his next visit, we had a list of places to check out and were ready to get educated in diamond-choosing.  A couple we found that we liked (well, I liked.  You know Gav, “Anything you want, Chels.”) and one that I fell in love with.  I had told him he knew what I liked and I didn’t want to know anything he was planning.  We left it at that for a bit I guess, and the weekly proposals continued with less jest and more seriousness.



For those who did not yet have the privilege of knowing Gavin, he was a man of action.  If something was in his head to do, or he wanted something, it got done.  Also, he seemed to have connections everywhere, even in Calgary where he’d only just moved to.  For Gavin, these same qualities held true for engagement rings, it seems.  What I wasn’t entirely aware of was that before Gav went up to work, he even had a connection for beautiful diamonds.  Gavin had sent a photo of one of the rings we had tried, along with some other useful information to a friend through whom he would purchase said ring.  After Gav’s accident, the parties involved proceeded with his request.

Here is the breath-taking gift I received this Christmas and it is perfect.

To the people involved in me receiving this ring, I cannot thank you enough.  My heart is so deeply touched and overwhelmed, words are simply not enough.  My mom said, "The quality of a man can be seen in his friends."  Nailed it, I'd say.  Wearing this treasure truly is a symbol of Gavin’s love.  It saddens me to not feel the excitement and hope that is supposed to come with a ring like this.  Engagement parties, bridal showers, wedding planning, a white dress, “I do”... none of that will come with this one.  Most of all, Gavin is missing from this ring.  I have a sneaking suspicion he had something in mind for around this time of year anyway ... I can’t decided if that makes me more or less sad.  I can’t really tell the difference anymore.




I feel a little like an impostor.  I have this jewel, but am alone.  I guess it’s more a symbol of where my heart is.  My heart is Gavin’s, and everyone can know.  Besides, he wanted me to show it off anyway, I don’t see why that should change.  So show it off I will, because he was proud of it, and Lord knows he is proud to have me.  So feast your eyes on this rock!!

Thank you, Gavin.  I will love you forever and for always, no matter what.


-chelsea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the heart of a counsellor.

  Living in Calgary the past few months has taught me many things.  Studying counselling and psychotherapy so closely has taught me even more.  Life is a constant string of learning and growth, if you're doing neither of these you'll wake up one day when you starting moving backwards in life, instead of forwards.   Through my program, I am required to attend personal counselling sessions for more insight into myself and all that.  It's been an interesting process seeing things from both the counselling side and the client side ... I've come to be convinced every person could benefit from a few boughts of counselling, even if they don't think they need it.  With my counsellor (we'll call her Carrie), I talked through some social anxieties I've had for many years, but just recently these anxieties have been escalating to somewhat of panic attacks.  Not often, but every now and then only if my worries and emotions go unchecked.  We theorized that so...

Consumed.

What would you do if you weren’t afraid? Think of that for a second .... There are so many possibilities of what you could do if fear was not a factor.  The funny thing about fear is that for a specific moment or situation, it has it’s place.  It’s completely reasonable to be afraid of scorpions if you don’t know how to handle them without getting stung.  I was told not to walk in grassy fields because there are scorpions, snakes, and more importantly land mines and mortars.  I think it’s reasonable to be cautious of these areas.  It makes sense for me not to wander through fields here, there are dangers.  But it would be completely insane if I avoided fields in Canada because the level of danger is significantly lower. This same principle applies to our lives.  Our fears had validity at one time, and our shields where useful during those times.  But if we carry around our shields, cautiously applying them to every situation, we look ridiculous a...

Thrown away.

  I'm not too sure how to start this one, it's gonna be a little sensitive for me.  I'll start off with telling you the story.   Two days ago, one of our house-moms left with her teenaged daughter.  She had a debt to repay and felt it would be better if she got a job in the sewing factory to repay that debt.  She had her life savings with her ($50 USD), and gave a couple days notice.  The day she was planning on leaving, someone stole her money (theft has been a bit of a problem here lately).  In tears, she came to Marie asking what she should do.  We replaced the money she had lost, prayed over her and sent her and her daughter on their way.  But not without trying to persuade them to stay, and making sure they knew that should they decide to come back, we have a place for them.   Leaving Rescue is probably the worst decision this woman could have made for herself and her daughter.  She has AIDS.  Rescue p...