Skip to main content

Living, Breathing Asia.

  The title of this posting is a slogan found in many TV advertisements ... thought it applied quite nicely to my time here.

  Jenn and I just got back to Rescue from our first weekend in Phnom Penh.  Let me tell you, it was fantastic!  Phnom Penh is unlike anywhere I've ever experienced in my life.  I can draw only small semblances to other places I've been, of course being Asia is has a culture all it's own.

  This country, especially PP, has such a rich and vibrant culture, accompanied by a tragic history.  It's a little too easy sometimes to forget where this country has come from when you walk down the bustling streets and side-streets of the capital.  From the "real" PP, to the beautiful touristy areas, the ancient Wats (temples) and new attractions, this city is full of life, with no shortage of things to do.  I could easily go into great detail about my experiences the past two days, but I think for now I'll stick to the highlights.


bride and groom wedding photo.

  Friday night we had the privilege of attending a wedding reception.  It
Trakuan, our house-keeper and I.
started at 4pm and continued on until guests felt like leaving.  The reception in a Cambodian wedding is the part that is open to anyone, as long as you bring a monetary gift.  The earlier part of the wedding begins as early as 7 or 8am!  The ceremony is a closed event with a string of traditional practices.  Each member of the family or circle of close friends come up to give a blessing during.  I'm not sure of all the details as I have not been able to experience an entire wedding yet.  During the reception though, the bride and groom had at least three matching outfits that we saw, all intricately decorated with sequins, beads ... so decadent!  And the guests were equally as decked-out.  Canada's got nothin' on Cambodian dress-up.  These girls were wearing prom dresses!

Jenn, myself, and Anne
  Saturday night Jenn (my housemate/fellow English teacher), Anne (Rescue nurse), and myself piled onto Anne's crotch rocker (aka Moto) for a guided tour around the riverside.  Anne has been living in PP for 1.5 hrs and took great pleasure in touring us around some of the tourist attended areas.  We look forward to checking out the Night Market next weekend, and eventually the Royal Palace, and Wat Phnom among other sites.

Michael and Arnel
  Today (Sunday) we attended the International Christian Assembly church (supported by the Assembly of God but is essentially an interdenominational church) where many NGO's attend.  Currently, their meetings are held in the World Vision building.  Workers from every continent of the world are represented there ... cool right!?  I think what was even more interesting for me was the lunch afterwards.  13 twenty-somethings all went out for lunch at one of the NGO run restaurants close by.  At our table we had Philippines, Korea, Cambodia, Holland, Germany, England, and last but not least, Canada.  Despite our different nationalities and languages, we had all been drawn to PP with the same goal: to bring God's House to the lost and alone.  There were English teachers, Khmi counselors, students, business advisors, some who were working with women just out of prostitution, and even a young couple on their honeymoon/on their way to work in Thailand!  WHAT A VARIED GROUP!  We shared some laughs and stories about our lives and just had an all-round good time.  Pictured here are myself with Michael and Arnel, our Filipino gents.  And Jenn of course!

  Now I find myself back at Rescue ... I am getting used to calling it "home".  But back to reality none-the less.  Jenn and I start teaching full-time this week, I am still very nervous!  I want to be a good ambassador of Christ, because He is afterall the One who has brought me here.  Pray that He would give me a renewed vision for my task here, that I am here to build His House and not my own!  Also, please pray that despite the huge language barrier, classes would go well and relationships would begin to be fostered and invested in.  Blessings to everyone and my thanks for your prayers :)

-chelsea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the heart of a counsellor.

  Living in Calgary the past few months has taught me many things.  Studying counselling and psychotherapy so closely has taught me even more.  Life is a constant string of learning and growth, if you're doing neither of these you'll wake up one day when you starting moving backwards in life, instead of forwards.   Through my program, I am required to attend personal counselling sessions for more insight into myself and all that.  It's been an interesting process seeing things from both the counselling side and the client side ... I've come to be convinced every person could benefit from a few boughts of counselling, even if they don't think they need it.  With my counsellor (we'll call her Carrie), I talked through some social anxieties I've had for many years, but just recently these anxieties have been escalating to somewhat of panic attacks.  Not often, but every now and then only if my worries and emotions go unchecked.  We theorized that so...

Consumed.

What would you do if you weren’t afraid? Think of that for a second .... There are so many possibilities of what you could do if fear was not a factor.  The funny thing about fear is that for a specific moment or situation, it has it’s place.  It’s completely reasonable to be afraid of scorpions if you don’t know how to handle them without getting stung.  I was told not to walk in grassy fields because there are scorpions, snakes, and more importantly land mines and mortars.  I think it’s reasonable to be cautious of these areas.  It makes sense for me not to wander through fields here, there are dangers.  But it would be completely insane if I avoided fields in Canada because the level of danger is significantly lower. This same principle applies to our lives.  Our fears had validity at one time, and our shields where useful during those times.  But if we carry around our shields, cautiously applying them to every situation, we look ridiculous a...

Thrown away.

  I'm not too sure how to start this one, it's gonna be a little sensitive for me.  I'll start off with telling you the story.   Two days ago, one of our house-moms left with her teenaged daughter.  She had a debt to repay and felt it would be better if she got a job in the sewing factory to repay that debt.  She had her life savings with her ($50 USD), and gave a couple days notice.  The day she was planning on leaving, someone stole her money (theft has been a bit of a problem here lately).  In tears, she came to Marie asking what she should do.  We replaced the money she had lost, prayed over her and sent her and her daughter on their way.  But not without trying to persuade them to stay, and making sure they knew that should they decide to come back, we have a place for them.   Leaving Rescue is probably the worst decision this woman could have made for herself and her daughter.  She has AIDS.  Rescue p...